Jan 27, 2012

The Help

So it's been on my "must see" list every since it was in theatres, but I finally got around to watching "The Help". Let me tell you, it was worth the wait. I loved it. I laughed. I cried. I hurt. I felt joy, pain, and genuine love. Now you know if a movie can make a girl feel all these things at once (even when she is not on the emotional roller coaster known as PMS), then it's gooood!

"The Help" is an inspirational movie, set in the 1960's, about a group of women who form a very unlikely friendship. There are so many lessons I took away from this movie, with the most important being our ability to create change. We have so many opportunities in life to create positive change. Whether it be big (taking part in a movement that changes history) or small (flashing a smile to someone who is having a bad day), our ability to create change for the better is endless.

In the movie, one of the characters, Aibeleen, makes it her purpose to have a positive impact on the life of the child. She attempts to help her create change within herself. I don't want to ruin it for you, so I won't reveal too much. But to me, it's one of the most poignant story lines in the entire movie. Aibileen repeats these words to the child (for who she is the caretaker) on a daily basis: "You is kind. You is smart. You is important".

It got me to thinking, we all need to hear those words more often. We need to remind ourselves daily of our importance and worth. We need to make it a priority in our lives to build up our family, our friends, and even complete strangers.  We need to create change for the better.

So my dear readers, I have come up with a list for you...a list of affirmations and encouragement...a list to remind you that you are awesome! In sticking with the theme of  "The Help", you will have to excuse my grammar. I just couldn't resist!

You is worthy.

You is strong.

You is beautiful.

You is talented.

You is able.

You is loved.

You is fearless.

You is valuable.

And in the words of sweet Aibeleen:


My lovelies, I hope you all have a fantastic day and never ever forget how amazing you truely is :) !

1 comment:

Amy Liz said...

Ok, I MUST see this movie!!! I read the book and loved it! If its in Redbox, I just found my Friday night plans!! : )